Gaze up into the starry heavens and behold the myriads of bright shining gems swirling endlessly into the infinitude of space. You are viewing the work of my Beloved!
Peer into an electron microscope (others aren’t powerful enough) and behold a strand of human DNA containing the blueprints for life. This is the wisdom of my Beloved!
Go to the place that marks eternity, a hill called Calvary, and behold a Man, the Son of God, in agony upon a tree dying for my sin. This is the wonder of my Beloved!
The very One who has all authority and created all things gave His all that He might offer salvation to all. God has given this special, unique and perfect Son a name above all others.
“I think that I shall never see
A hill so dear as Calvary.
Nor yet a tree so sweet and fair
As cruel man once planted there.
And oh, I know, I’ll never find
A love so gracious and so kind
A love so deep, so high, so broad
As issued from the heart of God
When He leaned down to you and me,
And hung His Son upon that tree.
“He hath loved thee, and He knows
All thy fears and all thy foes;
Victor thou shalt surely be
Ever through His love to thee.
Rest in quiet joy on this, —
Greater love hath none than His:
And may this thy life-song be
Love to Him that loveth thee!”
-Frances Ridley Havergal
The love of God is a sea so immense
That at eternity’s end, we’d only commence
To have explored its every shore.
For as we muse on this, we glimpse still more.
This love we endeavor to show to others
To strangers, friends, sisters, brothers.
To walk in love as even He loved
Until He calls us to that endless shore above.
“What is thy beloved more than another beloved?”
Song of Songs 5:9
1) Incomparable in His Person, His Worth
- In Him “all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell.” Col 1:19
- God has given Him a name “above every name” Phil 2:9 “Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.” Eph 1:21
- His purpose and path was always to please the Father (John 8:29)
- He is the “Firstborn among many brethren.” Rom 8:29
2) Incomparable in the Price He paid, His Work
- He “sold all that he had” (Matt 13:46) What more could He give than His life? What more could He grant than life with Himself?
- He gave Himself a ransom for all (1Tim 2:6)
- He loved me, and gave Himself for me. (Gal 2:20)
- He was “Exceeding sorrowful, even unto death” Mark 14:34. “Behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, wherewith the LORD hath afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger.” Lam. 1:12
- “He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.” Col. 1:18
3) Incomparable in His Power and Glory, His Wonder
- “His clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them.” Mark 9:3, “Above the brightness of the sun” Acts 26:13
- Rev 5:13 And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”
- He is “far above all rule and authority and power and dominion” Eph 1:21
- All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Him. Matt 28:18
- He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. Col 1:15
4) Incomparable in His Promises & Blessing to His own.
His gifts ought to bring us nearer to His person. If we receive a gift from our loved one on a special day, does it cause our heart to go out to the gift or to the giver?
- “For all the promises of God find their Yes in him.” 2Co 1:20
- “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature…” 2Pet 1:3-4
A) Our blessing in His Person:
- Eph 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
We should note that this is not in the same sense as Col. 1:19.
B) Our blessing in His Price:
- And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses. Acts 13:39
- As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 2 Cor. 6:10
- “For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; And ye are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s.” 1 Cor 3:21-23
C) Our blessing in His Power & Glory:
- And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. 2Co 9:8
- And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. Dan 12:3
- “after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.” 1Pet 5:10
- “so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.” Eph 5:27
- “having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.” Eph. 1:18-23
“…yea, He is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend”
Song of Songs 5:16
Quotations ESV and KJV